Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Salman Rushdie: Actually, no, I don’t sympathize with the Mohammed filmmaker who’s now being threatened « Hot Air

Salman Rushdie: Actually, no, I don’t sympathize with the Mohammed filmmaker who’s now being threatened « Hot Air: "The key bit comes at the end. As you watch, bear in mind that Rushdie’s old tormentors in Iran announced just today that they’ll “search for, track, and pursue” the filmmaker. The only consolation here is my hunch that his old friend Hitchens would have recoiled at this sentiment, that a provocateur being hunted like a rat by the mob for his speech is somehow less objectionable than a capital-A Artist being hunted for his. But I don’t know anymore. Would Hitch have recoiled? This seemingly straightforward case of a man being placed in fear for his life for something he said seems to be a lot more nuanced for self-styled champions of free speech than I would have thought."

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment