Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My wife and I are atheists, but our daughter wants to be baptised Catholic | James Harrington | Comment is free | theguardian.com

My wife and I are atheists, but our daughter wants to be baptised Catholic | James Harrington | Comment is free | theguardian.com: "I was, however, inclined to agree when my wife, who's a pretty vehement atheist, said that she could cope with just about any life decision our children may make – apart from them wanting to join the military or the clergy. So what happened when our oldest daughter decided that, not only does she believe in God (capital G), but that she also wants to be baptised into the Catholic faith?

This shouldn't have been as big of a surprise as it was. About five years ago, work took me, my fellow-journalist wife and our then three-year-old child from eastern England to southwest France. We enrolled our little girl at a local Catholic school, selected purely on the recommendation of a colleague for the quality of its education. And frankly, the school had a place when we needed it. She has stayed at the same school, and we have had no cause for complaint. Quite the contrary. We have had every reason to thank our colleague for her on-the-money insight."

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment