Monday, March 24, 2014

Carter: Obama should do what I did with Russia « Hot Air

Carter: Obama should do what I did with Russia « Hot Air: "As it happens, I agree with Carter on the inevitability of Russia’s seizure of Crimea. The bases there were too valuable and the identity of the peninsula too Russia to ignore. Part of that inevitability, though, came from a perception of the West as being too weak to do much about it, with the lack of consequences over the 2008 seizure of South Ossetia and Abkhazia playing a large role in that context. The “reset button” Obama foreign policy started just a few months later, but the EU is just as responsible for the situation, if not more so. Unlike Carter, I don’t see a strong enough response from the West to dissuade Putin from seizing eastern Ukraine as well, nor do I think the West has made it very clear that Crimea is “far enough,” at least up to now."



'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment